November 1, 2013
Everyone knows that October is filled with the color pink to raise awareness for Breast Cancer. Pink ribbons, pink shoes, even the National Football League gets into the action by having the players wear pink and the referees throw pink penalty flags. However, what most people don’t know is that November is becoming a month dedicated to Men’s Health Awareness. In fact, there is a movement called “Movember” committed to having an everlasting impact on the face of men’s health. What started in 2003 in Australia as 30 men growing moustaches, or “Mos”, has grown to millions of men around the world growing moustaches to support awareness for Prostate Cancer, Testicular Cancer, and Mental Health in the month of November. Since then, this charity foundation has raised more than $446 million globally.
Consider the following facts as an example:
– A man is 35% more likely to be diagnosed with prostate cancer than a woman is to be diagnosed with breast cancer.
– One new case of prostate cancer occurs every 2.2 minutes and a man dies from the disease every 17.5 minutes.
– In the US, one in six men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer in their lifetime making it the most frequently diagnosed cancer in men after skin cancer
– If detected and treated early, prostate cancer has a 97 percent treatment success rate.
On average, men die five years younger than women. The suicide rate is four times higher for men than women and 24% of men are less likely to go to the doctor compared to women.
How can we all take action?
Movember is all about changing the understanding and attitudes men have towards their health. The Mo is Movember’s ribbon, it’s the catalyst for change. The goal is to raise awareness and funds to support the cause.
Part of the funds raised are used to run the annual Movember awareness campaign, which inspires literally billions of conversations. Funds are also used to create and maintain engaging resources, which educate men on the health risks they face, how to stay healthy and how to take action if they become ill. Additionally, proceeds are used to fund innovative research to improve clinical tests and treatments for prostate and testicular cancer as well as to improve physical and mental health outcomes for men.
In an effort to begin to change the conversation and focus on the positive outcomes of early detection, Uni K Wax is pleased to partner with Movember to help support their cause in several ways:
1. The“Mo” Special for him – a full facial wax promotion (excluding the moustache of course) for only $50. This special is available to all men during the month of November except for blackout dates.
2. Uni K Wax will donate 5% of sales from all its Centers preformed during the month of November for the following men’s waxing services: ears, nose, nostrils, and full face.
3. There will also be a donation box placed on the counter of every Uni K Wax Center. These boxes come directly from Movember and we encourage you to make a donation during your next waxing appointment or to simply stop by on your way home or to work and make a donation. These donation boxes will be out throughout the month of November and 100% of the money raised through them will go to Movember.
Uni K Wax is always committed to making a positive impact! We are partnering with Movember to do just that! If you are a man or a woman reading this blog, we urge you to visit www.movember.com so that you can learn more about this organization and share their important information with friends, family, and loved ones. Please help Uni K Wax support this very important cause and raise awareness for men’s health!